Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Healthy Advocate's First Blog Post

Hello all. This is the Healthy Advocate.

I want to first off say that I am very excited, but also very nervous, about the concept of starting a blog about truthful health information. Normally people would not admit their fears to their audience, but seeing how I want this blog to be as truthful and accommodating as possible, I believe that honesty will help grow and foster the relationship I have to my readers.

I created this blog out of frustration with the current stream of health news we hear today. The majority of the public receive their information regarding health, nutrition, fitness, etc., from television or their doctors (or at least this is how I have perceived it to be).

However the majority of the information received on television regarding, nutrition, for example, are run during commercials, where there is always a monetary agenda behind the product they're pushing. How can you take nutrition information seriously when you know that the studies mentioned during the commercial were actually funded by the company who is airing the commercial itself?



Conflict of Interests




Take, for example, Kellogg's. Their latest commercials tell us that their cereals are chock full of nutrition: vitamins, fiber, calcium and other minerals. Sounds like the best way to start out your child's day (and perhaps your own).

However, these cereals are the worst thing you can put into your body, as the cereal is most likely made of fast acting, refined grains (white or corn flour), refined sugar (sucrose or high fructose corn syrup), and additives and perservitives to help maintain color and flavor.

You can also see the new High Fructose Corn Syrup commercials and ads that are placed throughout millions of televisions, newspapers and radios. Apparantly, these ads claim High Fructose Corn Syrup to be know more harmful than sugar, and can be used in moderation.


However, did you know that these ads are funded directly by the Corn Refiner's Association? And that they are happening right around the time when the majority of the public is growing more and more concerned over this ingredient? Just look at the growing number of companies who are selling products labled, "No High Fructose Corn Syrup".

As the blog continues to grow, you will see why I believe that these ingredients (and hundreds of others) are responsible for the growing epidemic of a wide range of diseases. These diseases, in my opinion, are preventable and/or treatable with the correct diet and exercise programs.

What I Plan to Accomplish With This Blog

As mentioned previously at the beginning of this post, I observed feelings of nervousness and uneasiness surrounding this blog. However, throughout this writing, my confidence has grown, and I plan on continuing this blog for as long as I see fit.

I have a passion for health, and for spreading the news about the truth of our health and wellness information. I want to discover the lies and manipulation that construe within our healthcare system, and expose to as many people as I can how they can take their health in their own hands.

The health care arena has become such a big business these days, and I hate to see that, because I know that many of the products out there (drugs, supplements, diet foods, etc.) are unnecessary, and at times can be damaging or dangerous.

I also hope to let my views on health, fitness, nutrition, mind, spirit, and all the rest, be known, based on my own knowledge, experience and study. Several hundreds of thousands of hours I have spent researching information on health, wellness, and alternative preventative medicines have led me to this, and I want to believe that I can help as many people as I can by expressing my views and opinions.



P.S. I also hope to share my favorite recipes. Some are made from completely raw foods, some are made from whole grains and some are entirely gluten/grain free. I rarely ever use sugar in my recipes, and when I do, I use the tiniest amount of Sucanat or raw honey.

Before I post a recipe, I'll give you a preview of what it will be, just because I like to keep people on edge :).

Until then, this has been the Healthy Advocate.


No comments:

Post a Comment