Saturday, January 9, 2010

Is Soy Healthy? + Upcoming Recipes Preview!



Hello there, this is the Healthy Advocate.

OK, here is a topic I really get interested in, because I use to consume soy milk regularly (key terms: "use to"). I still like the taste of soy, to some degree, but not so much that I couldn't live without it.
But the question is, "Is Soy Healthy?" It's a
question that I'm sure you have already heard answered, and in fact, this whole soy discussion has gotten a bit old.

I have heard of the benefits of soy from a couple of nutritionists that claim it is a complete protein (it contains all of the eight essential am
ino acids), and is a reliable source for vegetarians. However, soy contains certain enzyme inhibitors which interfere with the digestion of the protein, making it less available to the body.*

I have also found that soy contains something called goitrogens, a substance which depresses thyroid function. You thyroid is shaped somewhat like a butterfly, and it regulates your metabolism. I don't know about you, but depressed metaboli
sm does not sound good (especially for people who are trying to lose weight).



Soy, Estrogen and Cancer: A Link?



Look at the label of every processed food you have in your kitchen (and hopefully there aren't many!), and see if you find the word 'soy' in the ing
redient list. Soybean oil, soy protein isolate, hyrolyzed soy, etc., can be found in the majority of processed and prepackaged foods in America.

Soy has been shown to contain isoflavones, w
hich have been shown to mimic the hormone estrogen. Too much estrogen in the body can be seen with an increased risk for developing breast cancer in women. Also, studies have pointed to the estrogen in soy being linked to low sperm count in males.*

Isn't it interested that we have seen a rise in breast cancer in America, coinciding with the widespread use of soy in our food? There are ot
her factors which deal with such diseases, such as genetics, environment and lifestyle, but could it be that soy is another contributing factor?

I believe so.

There is a low incedence of breast cancer in Asian cultures, whom of which have consumed soy for centuries. However, the form of soy they do eat is in its fermented form, such as natto, miso and tempeh.

My Soy Story

I started to consume about five years ago because it was lower in calories and overall fat. However when I look at those views I had on fat now, I start to laugh, because it totally opposes my view on fats now.

I started to drink it, and I pretty much enjoyed it thoroughly. I consumed soy milk regularly, and could not stop talking about the "bene
fits" it was supposed to grant to the consumer.

I started to notice weird feelings in my throat after a while (your thyroid is located inside your throat!), and started to see and do more of my on research on soy, rather than rely on the company's "research" that promoted the stuff.

I found a whole different side of the story on soy, and to sum up, I stopped drinking soy milk. I still remember the taste, and will still admit to saying that I do like it, but I'd rather live without it and be healthy, than live with it and its potent
ial side effects.

I have yet to try the fermented forms o
f soy, but would very much like to. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on some, please let me know! I wonder if there is a way to ferment soy beans, and make your own soy milk? Maybe you guys can help me out on that.


Upcoming Recipes!

Now, to come away from soy, I'm going to give a preview of the upcoming recipes I can't wait to share. Some are of my own creation, while others are from my favorite health bloggers or chefs.

I like to incorporate some raw food into my lifestyle, and usually eat raw about 50-80% of the time. Once I start to live on my own (out o
f college and out into the world!), I plan on devoting about 80% of myself to the raw food diet. I just feel amazing after eating raw the majority of the time, that I wonder how good it will feel to eat raw 80-100% of the time.

Without further ado, here are the recipes.

This has been the Healthy Advocate.



Kimberly Snyder's Raw Pecan Pie - So Good!



Sprouted Buckwheat Gluten-Free "Ritz" Crackers Recipe


Stevia Sweetened Rich Chocolate Fudge

Metabolism Boosting Coconut Oil Spicy Stir Fry

_____________________________________________________

*Nexus Magazine, Volume 7, Number 3 (April-May 2000), Sally Fallon & Mary G. Enig, Ph.D.
*The Guardian, August 2000
*Gerson Institute Newsletter, Vol 14, No. 3, Brandon Finucan & Charlotte Gerson

More information on soy can be found at http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/








No comments:

Post a Comment